DEAR MEMBERS AND FRIENDS,
1) We are moving forward in Phase 1 of "Reopening" mindful of guidance from both church and civil authority. The Vestry and I hope you can join our first indoor services since early March. We sent an email about your attendance preferences for Sunday May 24. Thank you for your responses.
2) Thursday May 21 is Ascension Day. We read Acts 1:6-11 with awe as the apostles watched the resurrected Jesus lifted up into Heaven. Here is the collect for Ascension Day from page 613 of our prayer book.
Almighty God, whose only-begotten Son our Lord Jesus Christ ascended into heaven: May our hearts and minds also there ascend, and with him continually dwell; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen
3) On Sunday we will include patriotic music and themes given that Monday (May 25) is Memorial Day. If possible, I encourage you to wear military memorabilia or clothing and accessories with patriotic colors.
4) Prior to Sunday, please read and meditate upon John 15:12-17. Verse 13 is often heard during military funerals. "Greater love has no one than this, that someone lays down his life for his friends." We know this truth in an even greater context than battlefield deaths.
5) Blessings in grace and peace! Gary+
To read at home for May 17, Seventh Sunday of Easter
Acts 1:1-11, Psalm 121
1 Peter 4:12-19, John 15:12-17